Thomas Jefferson once said, “America is not governed by the majority, but by the majority of those who participate.”
Thomas Jefferson knew what he was talking about when he made this statement. If HR is to have a say in how workplace policies are developed, we need to be actively involved when such issues are debated either in Washington or in Springfield, Illinois. On this page, Illinois SHRM provides you with the resources needed to track HR public policy issues pending on the federal and state levels, as well as helpful tools you can use in conveying your thoughts to your legislators in Washington and Springfield.
- SHRM’s Pending Legislative Tracking System – This handy online tracking tool provides you access to a listing of HR public policy issues pending throughout the US. You can either track what’s going on in Springfield and Washington by subject matter or by clicking on Illinois if searching by state.
- SHRM’s HRVoice Letter-writing Tool – By completing the registration field, you can communicate with your elected officials in Washington or Springfield via e-mail using pre-loaded form messages which can be edited and revised to your liking. Or, if you prefer, you can write your elected officials in your own voice on any subject you wish. This is a member-protected service is limited to SHRM members, so you’ll need your SHRM log-in and password to access this valuable resource.
- U.S. House of Representatives – The official homepage of the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington, you can access the website of your elected Representative. If you don’t know who represents you in the House, just key in your zip code information in the field at the upper-right corner of the page and click ‘GO.’
- United State Senate – The official website of the U.S. Senate in Washington, you can access the websites of your 2 senators to find out their positions on various issues before Congress and/or communicate with them via their e-mail webform.
- Illinois General Assembly – Here you can find out anything you want to know about the legislation pending in Springfield, or who represents you in the Illinois Senate or General Assembly.
- SHRM Advocacy Team (A-Team) Video – This five-year initiative to establish an HR district captain (or key contact) within each of the 435 congressional districts across the country, the SHRM A-Team is designed to put a constituent face behind the positions SHRM is advocating on the federal and state levels.
- SHRM GOTV Website – SHRM’s Get Out the Vote (GOTV) website provides you with helpful information about how, where and when to register to vote, what ballot initiatives are pending in your state, as well as how to organize a non-partisan GOTV effort among friends or coworkers – just to name a few.
To read more about the SHRM Advocacy initiative, click HERE.
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the public policy issues ILSHRM is advocating on and consider exercising your HR Voice by actively participating in the political process of government. Email the ILSHRM Legislative Director today and find out how you can “Get Involved”.