The ILSHRM Student Virtual Case Competition is an exciting and unique opportunity for students across the state to learn, connect with their peers, and participate in a competitive HR challenge.
WHY PARTICIPATE? IS YOUR STUDENT CHAPTER UP TO THE VIRTUAL CHALLENGE?
Put your knowledge to the test.
Participating in the 2021 virtual case competition provides our students the inclusive opportunity to learn by working through challenging HR case studies and come up with a solution within a limited time frame. Judges assess presentations on how well the team navigates through situations that most likely they will face in their future HR jobs.
This year benefits include:
- Virtual. No travel costs!
- Networking opportunities
- Teamwork is a learned competency through this experience
- Showcase your school talent. We will have our first virtual video showcase contest
- Learning/Growth/Networking Breakout Room Opportunities
- HR Crazy Stories
- Case competition awards, opportunity drawing
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
- Maximum of up to 3 (three) teams from each campus.
- Any team that registers after capacity has been reached will automatically be placed on a waitlist. If a slot opens, the team captain will be notified. Waitlisted teams will be invited to compete in the order in which they registered.
- Waitlisted teams will only be added to the games lineup if a registered team drops out of the games prior to the start date. This allows the waitlisted teams to fully participate in all aspects of the games. Waitlisted teams will NOT be allowed to compete in place of a registered team that is unable to attend the onsite event. • Switching teammates is permitted until the start of the games. However, there will be no switching of team members during the games
- Students from a college/university where no SHRM student chapter exists may form a team if all team members are SHRM student members.
WHEN DOES FUN START?
Saturday, March 27, 2021 (conference will be held in the Central time zone)
- 8:00 – 8:30 am: Welcome & Sponsor Recognition
- 8:30-10:30 am: Case Competition (15 minutes for Presentation/15 minutes for Q&A)
- 10:30 – 11:30 am: General Session by Dave Ryan
- 11:30-12:00: Case Competition Winner Presentation & Closing Remarks
HOW DOES IT WORK?
All teams will be judged at the same time. The competing teams will move into a Zoom room at a set time with judges waiting. The team’s presentation will be loaded, and they will be in the room for 30 minutes: 15 minutes for the team’s presentation, 15 minutes for Q&A.
The judges will take another 15 minutes to allow judges to complete scoring, score the Executive Written Summary & PowerPoint which is submitted the March 24, 2021 by 5pmPT (review timeline) and feedback paperwork. Judges score the oral presentations based on the teams’ ability to analyze the information presented in the case and clearly and effectively communicate the recommended course of action, using the rubric provided.
Dress Code & Rules
- Dress comfortable, and professional. All teams are expected to be present by video and audio.
- Stay positive, flexible, supportive and kind to yourself and others.
- Refer to virtual tips sheet.
- Practice dignity, inclusion and respect to all.
- Have fun!
Dates & Events Information (CANCELLED)
January 11, 2021: Registration – registration is open.
March 6, 2021: Registration – deadline to register for the Case Competition.
March 18, 2021: Case Release – team captains will receive case via email.
March 24, 2021: Presentations/Executive Summary due by 5:00 pm (Central time)
March 27, 2021: ILSHRM Student Case Competition